Sight is one of the five senses we have to experience the world. That’s why it’s important to keep your eyes healthy. Taking good care of your eyes can prevent future vision problems and improve your quality of life.
Now is a good time to focus on vision because:
- Without it, you wouldn’t be able to see the beautiful world around you
- Eye diseases often have no early warning signs or symptoms
- Because of family history, some individuals are at higher risk for certain eye diseases and conditions
- Getting an eye exam is the only way to identify and diagnose eye diseases and conditions, so they can be treated before they cause vision problems
At our Fitchburg location, we provide complete optometry services, including eye exams and screenings to detect eye disease, including glaucoma, as well as other serious diseases that can affect your vision, such as diabetes. To help you and your loved ones see better, we also provide affordable eyeglasses and contact lens services.
Nine ways you can help protect your vision:
- Get regular comprehensive dilated eye exams
- Know your family’s eye health history. It’s important to know if anyone has been diagnosed with an eye disease or condition, since some are hereditary
- Eat right to protect your sight: In particular, eat plenty of dark leafy greens such as spinach, kale, or collard greens, and fish that is high in omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon, albacore tuna, trout, and halibut
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Wear protective eyewear when playing sports or doing activities around the home, such as painting, yard work, and home repairs
- Quit smoking or never start
- Wear sunglasses that block 99 percent-100 percent of ultraviolet A (UVA) and ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation.
- Wash your hands before taking out your contacts and cleanse your contact lenses properly to avoid infection
- Practice workplace eye safety
For Healthy Vision Month – and all year long – take care of your eyes to make them last a lifetime.